Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Summer - Ice Cream Heaven

For ten years I have worked at a small mom and pop ice cream shop in Pennsylvania. I started at 14 as an assistant prep cook and have made it all the way up to kitchen manager. Now I am about to start another summer and I'd like to share some helpful hints if you ever stop by a small mom and pop run business:

1. There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes that the customer doesn't know. So if you have to stand in line a little longer then you think is necessary remember that we put in hours upon hours of work that you may not know about.
2. If you wait in line for over 30 minutes then you should KNOW what you want in line especially because we have very large menus posted outside of the ordering window.
3. Last year I had ONE thing returned to the kitchen because I forgot a topping. ONE thing! I make thousands of orders in a summer, that is a good track record. So a smile would be appreciated when I deliver your food out the window, it's hot and sometimes lonely in the back cooking when others are serving you up front.
4. I work 2 full time jobs in the summer, I'm glad Saturday and Sunday are your days off, but they are my busiest. In fact I don't get a full day off until two weeks after labor day.
5. "Thank you" is very easy to say to me.
6. I'm standing on concrete for 10 hour shifts, my feet hurt so if at 8 pm I'm not quick on my feet that should be understandable.
7. When I answer the phone "Thank you for calling ________ Ice Cream, how can I help you?" means we ARE open.
8. Every morning I have to pick up all the trash that you leave around. It's usually sticky, and gross so please deposit your trash into the trashcans provided, it's just common courtesy.
9. The bathroom is not the place to smoke cigarettes or clean up after mudding around. Treat our bathroom like your bathroom at home.
10. Don't bang on the window, I don't bang on yours.
11. We serve ice cream. Kids love ice cream so there are a lot of kids at the shop. So when you drive into the parking lot going 50 mph you are not only putting yourself in danger but also the children that visit our establishment.
12. The boss has the final word, it's not my last name on the marquee, it's his so he is god!

Ice cream is fun, so enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment