Wednesday, December 7, 2011

To PhD or not to PhD

Ugh, I want to go back to high school when the guidance counselor said "If you go to college then you can get a job anywhere!" BULLSHIT! I have been in school for 21 years, TWENTY ONE YEARS!!! I did the high school thing, I have a BS in Political Science, I'm finishing my MA in American Studies, and have ZERO job prospects due to many factors. The main factor is that I choose a field that I enjoyed studying. That is what I was TOLD TO DO! I was told to go into a field that I would love to due so that my career would be fun and enjoyable!!! So now I had a good time learning about a field I love but that there is no way I will be able to get a job in. I'm not saying I'm unqualified I worked really hard at school, I have a 3.89 GPA, I've presented at conferences in the US and in Europe.

Now, after $75,000.00 in student loans, that I have no idea how I will be able to pay back, I have to face the choice of either going to continue my education and get a Doctorate or not. The pros include a slightly better chance at getting a job and possibly a job as a professor at a university. The cons involve not getting a job and having over $100,000.00 in student loans. That doesn't include the cost it would take to move to the PhD program I got into (anywhere in any of the 50 states). Starting ones life over again in a new town where you know no one would also be a strain.

I'd love to sign my name with a PhD. at the end of it but there is a lot to consider. This is one of many problems people my age are facing. Chalk it up to another Quarter Life Crisis issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment